In this course, you will gain the skills needed to configure a Symmetrix and prepare it for host access. You will focus on the use of the Symmetrix command line interface (SYMCLI) on the Symmetrix V-Max Series Array. You will also cover managing configuration changes with the Unisphere for VMAX GUI. You will cover different types of devices and their functions as well as creation, mapping, and masking of devices to traditional and VMWare ESXi servers. You will explore and other topics, including Autoprovisioning, Virtual Provisioning, Virtual LUN migration for regular and thin devices, Fully Automated Storage Tiering (FAST) for disk groups, and Virtual Pools and Federated Tiered Storage. Lab exercises will cover operational details of all topics.
- To understand the content and successfully complete this course, you must:
- Have an understanding of Symmetrix and VMware vSphere fundamentals. Labs will be conducted on UNIX and Windows systems.
- Be familiar with the editor so you can create files during the lab exercises.
- 1. Symmetrix Configuration
- 2. Device Creation and Mapping
- 3. Host Connectivity Considerations
- 4. Symmetrix and Device Attributes
- 5. Auto-Provisioning Groups
- 6. Virtual Provisioning Concepts and Planning
- 7. Virtual Provisioning with Solution Enabler
- 8. Monitoring Thin Pools
- 9. Virtual LUN Migration
- 10. Federated Tiered Storage
- 11. FAST and FAST VP Concepts
- 12. Managing FAST and FAST VP Using SYMCLI
- 13. Symmetrix Configuration with Unisphere for VMAX
- 14. Symmetrix Storage in a Virtual Environment