Cisco Network Registrar/Broadband Access Center Combo Class - CNR v7.0/BAC v4.0
The Cisco CNR/BAC course is an instructor-led five-day course focusing on learning skills required to configure DNS, DHCP, and device boot files for DOCSIS and PacketCable Customer Premise Equipment, using Cisco Network Registrar (CNR) and Cisco Broadband Access Center application server suites . IP Address Management of traditional computer clients like Personal Computers, workstations, printers and mobile devices will also be covered. The ideal candidate would be someone who has worked in a data network or Cable Provider DOCSIS environment but lacks hands on experience configuring Cisco DNS, DHCP, and device provisioning products. Broadband Access Center Combo Class course will serve to educate students on the protocols and configuration.
Students will receive extensive hands-on experience in addition to lecture. Each student will configure their own DHCP, DNS, and BAC server. Students will run simulation tools to simulate booting DOCSIS cable modems and PCs on a network. Testing will include high availability architectures for DHCP, DNS and device provisioning for Cable Service Provider, Enterprise, and Campus environments.
- Install CNR and BAC in a Sun hardware environment.
- Describe the DNS protocol and how it is used to perform hostname resolution.
- Describe the different types of DNS server configurations for extending the reach of a LAN and the methods that can be used with a focus on RF wireless access.
- Use both the command-line interface and web user interface to configure DHCP and DNS objects.
- Configure CNR DNS and DHCP for an IPv6 environment.
- Configure DHCP objects for multiple scopes, policies, and networks.
- Perform system administration duties for CNR and BAC software running in each of the supported operating systems.
- Configure CNR and BAC to support classes of service for network devices.
- Describe the feature set and functionality of Cisco Broadband Access Center.
- Describe the boot-up sequence of DOCSIS Cable Modems and other network devices behind the CM.
- Describe the different types of servers which make up the Head-End and Regional Data Center in a BAC and CNR environment.
- Use tools to simulate cable modems booting on a network and getting proper configurations to allow network communications.
- Troubleshoot problems within a provisioning environment that would prevent cable modems from receiving device configurations.
- Basic computer literacy
- Basic Unix (Solaris) shell navigation skills
- Basic Internet usage skills
- Basic knowledge of routing and IP Addressing for TCP/IP networks.
Who Should Attend
- Cisco Engineers and Systems Engineers
- Cisco Ecosystem Partner Engineers
- Network Administrators
- System Administrators
- Network Engineers
- Network Managers
The secondary audience for this class is as follows:
- Systems/Software Managers
- Network Designer
- Project Manager
- Module 1 – Introduction to Cisco Network Registrar
- Module 2 – Introduction to the CNR User Interfaces
- Module 3 – Introduction to the Regional Cluster
- Module 4 CNR Synchronization and Replication
- Module 5 Managing Administrators, Groups, Roles, and Tenants
- Module 6 – DHCP Protocol Overview
- Module 7 TFTP Overview
- Module 8 DOCSIS and PacketCable Provisioning Review
- Module 9 – Configuring DHCPv4
- Module 10 – Configuring Client-Class and Clients
- Module 11 – Configuring DHCPv6
- Module 12 – DHCP Failover
- Module 13 – Troubleshooting CNR DHCP
- Module 14 – DNS Protocol Review
- Module 15 – DNS Configuration
- Module 16 Dynamic DNS and High Availability DNS
- Module 17 DHCP Extensions
- Module 18 DHCP Expressions
- Module 19 – Address Space Management
- Module 20 IP History Reporting
- Module 21 CNR Command Line Interface
- Module 22 Using CNR SNMP, LDAP, and TFTP
- Module 23 CNR Server and Database Maintenance
- Module 24 CNR Migration Between Versions
- Module 25 RIC Server
- Module 26 – BAC Introduction
- Module 27 – Installation of BAC 4
- Module 28 Provisioning DOCSIS with BAC Regional Distribution Unit
- Module 29 Device Provisioning Engine (DPE)
- Module 30 Linking CNR and BAC Configuration
- Module 31 Device Configurations
- Module 32 DPE Synchronization and RDU Configuration Regeneration Service
- Module 33 BAC Redundancy and Availability
- Module 34 – PacketCable BASIC Provisioning
- Module 35 PacketCable Security Overview and Setup
- Module 36 BAC IPv6
- Module 37 PacketCable Secure Provisioning and Call ManagementBroadband Access Center Combo Class